For the month of September two issues are worth noting:

As mentioned in an earlier post there was a network event that caused brief connectivity issues for some clients during a 20 minute time window. The cause for this issue has been addressed.

Unrelated to this is the second one:
Since its inception INTERDUBS has been a steadily increased use and growth. We plan accordingly and add capacity as it is needed. During September growth was sudden during a couple of days so that the system got closer to the limits than usual.
For some clients this meant slower than usual page response times. We took steps to mitigate this effect and are happy with the results we are seeing after we stepped up our expansion efforts. We also started to work on a process that will allow us to scale much more quickly and efficiently around the needs of our growing customer base.